Tuesday, November 6, 2012

MDS & Applique

Here's a fun use for My Digital Studio that you may not have thought about:  Applique.  You can easily transform a plain T-shirt into a super-cute, trendy, and unique piece of clothing.

  • I simply used a punch shape, chose a "mat" to outline it, re-sized it to be large enough, and printed it out. 
  • Then I traced the image onto "Steam-a-Seam" which is sticky on both sides when you peel off the paper and can be ironed on first to your applique fabric and then to your T-shirt to make sewing it on a breeze.

The punch shapes I used for these T-shirts are from the Wonderfall Digital Kit.  I also used the oh-so-pretty Stitched Satin Ribbon in Summer Starfruit to add a sweet bow to the leaf on each shirt.

  • I used a vintage Stretch & Sew pattern for children's T-shirts (it's the best pattern for T-shirts IMO - a really cute close fit and easy instructions).  You can most likely find a copy at E-bay, Etsy, etc. by searching for "Stretch & Sew 950."
 
  • I made these T-shirts by taking some of my husband's plain white undershirts that had out-lived their usefulness (at least to him).
  • First, I dyed them using various combinations of Rit Fabric dye to create the fall colors
  • I appliqued the front pieces using some scraps I had of ivory cotton velveteen (I stitched the grid lines in before I cut the shapes out to give it a quilted look) before stitching the shirt together.




So next time you open up MDS - think outside the box!  There are myriad ways to use this program in all your creative projects!

Wonderfall Kit -- Digital Download 


1 comment: